After work on Wednesday afternoons, I attend a china painting class. I have been going to class for a few years now. The participants are mostly women, my age and older. I would venture a pretty safe bet that Grandma Williams (JW's Mom) is the oldest in the class, clocking in at 85 years young. Most of the students paint flowers on all shapes of china; oftentimes, they paint fruit. I enjoy painting these things as well.
My least favorite flower to paint? That's easy; it is the rose. As you can see, I have made several attempts to create the perfect rose over the years. Every time I choose a rose project, I am disappointed in the results. It is the simple fact that I am stubborn beyond belief that fuels my desire to try and try again.

One of my favorite flowers to paint? Probably lilacs. I believe it has something to do with their color and shape, not to mention the fact that I have 8 lilac bushes planted in the yard. You can't beat the smell of their blooms.

I also like to paint landscapes and other miscellaneous items.

However, I have been known to deviate from the norm. I sometimes paint things that one would not expect to see on china; the other students look at my creations and usually say something like, "Oh! You have so much patience." Translation, "Why would anyone spend so much time on something like that?" Well, I do it because I enjoy painting things that are special to people.

Anything you want me to paint for you? It can be as unusual as you are; I like to get the ladies talking!
12 comments:
OMG, your "work" is just beautiful. I am going to think of a project for you to make for me, since you are asking. I'm thinking something for our living room. I like primative bird paintings. I used to have a hobby, scrapbooking. Since I am no longer good at it I am seriously thinking of giving it up. I need to find a replacement first! No china painting where I live thou, darn.
Ke,can you do portraits? I'll bet Amy would love one of her boy. Maybe you shouldn't have offered. I have a feeling you will be swamped with requests.
Yeah, i was thinking of a portrait of Grammy! If you don't do portraits, how about a Charles Wysocki-type painting for my new (but non-existent kitchen)? Hey, do you do kitchens? When we have walls, I'll call you!
I love all of the things you paint. Where'd you get the talent? That butterfly made of flowers and birds is cool.
Anyone else giving away freebies?
Ke, you do not have to paint me anything, but if you go to my blog I would love to know about your lilac bushes!!
Wow...I am very impressed with your art work! ceramic painting classes sound fun! Maybe I will look into that. I doubt mine will even compare to your master peices though!
Gel-oh, you would have to send me a picture or drawing so I could see exactly what you had in mind.
lud and mau, I fear portraits are probably a few steps above my present talent range, unfortunately... Now lud, what might be cool for Amy would be a reproduction of one of Sean's drawings from school (just a thought). Unfortunately, I don't think I'd quite capture Sean's cuteness in a portrait. Mau send picture and colors...and you may have that butterfly if you'd like...
lilpoppy, we are painting more lilacs next session, but, yes I will visit your blog.
oops la girl, I did not see your comment when I answered, but if I can do this, believe me, you could too.
Good idea! I will see what I can come up with. He basically just scribbles right now though...so far he has his dad's art skills. Maybe I can come up with something....if you don't mind doing it.
lud, I would be very happy to do it! Honored, in fact. I really wish I could do a portrait, but our teacher has said that painting someone you know is very difficult because it is hard to get it to look like the person and you will no doubt be disappointed. She's good at this, too, so if she has a tough time, it will be impossible for me! Would you like the artwork on a mug or plate or something you can hang up; basically, they have china in all shapes and sizes. We paint on tiles, too.
Ke,on something she can display. Proabably a plate would be good. Probably put it on a stand. I will email you what I came up with,if I can find pics on the internet.
Thanks!
I have lots of ideas of things you can paint for me, but it looks like you have a long queue, so I will wait!
beautiful
Post a Comment